Monday, June 19, 2006

The Blog that Changed My Life

A collective gasp of horror was heard around the office as one of my colleagues exclaimed, "Why the hell do you have a picture of David Hasselhoff on your blog?"


"Ewwwwwww!" screamed another.

"Well, I don't really have a good reason for that, other than to say that 'I guess you needed to be there.' But at least there are cute puppies!"

"Well, the puppies are cute, but POOR puppies!"

That exchange poses a question about the direction, nature, and purpose of this blog. Really, what AM I doing posting pictures of David Hasselhoff on my blog? I mean, pictures of underwear model (oh yeah, he plays soccer too) Freddie Ljungberg are one thing, but the Hoffster? Come on, Curiosa.

When I started this blog, I was at an uncertain point in my life where I was trying to figure out the next step career wise, as well as recovering from a foot injury resulting from a major car accident last summer. Quite simply, it was difficult just putting one foot in front of the other, both literally and figuratively. I couldn't go out and do all of the things that I wanted to do, and writing was a way to relieve some of the stress and boredom that come with recovery from such an injury. It was not just a way to pass the time; it was a way to reach the outside world.

I had been blogging for awhile under a different pseudonym on a different server, but Kommissarie Curiosa took the art of blogging to another level. Swedish Mating and Dating was sort of a slam dunk, and once I figured out all of the ins and outs of statcounter, I realized that people were actually reading what I wrote. I'll admit that I enjoyed it (and still do!).

For several months, this blog became an integral part of my life. I won't say that I didn't live life, but I did spend a great deal of time writing about it. I quickly found out that blogs about dating are an excellent way to get dates. Of course, none of my dates were actually with the strong, silent, Nordic type. First there was a brief affair with a tall, dark, and definitely not silent Southern type, who wooed me by suggesting that I was the author of a bimbo blog. That relationship didn't last, for various reasons, but my romantic attention soon turned to a fellow expat blogger, who took the interesting and unconventional approach of writing odes to Ullrick. Turns out, the way to a girl's heart is through her cat.

About the time I started dating the cat poet, most recently known as Steve (he also goes by the title of Guy Who Likes Things Far Neater than I Do), I started a new job, vaguely related to finance and editing documents related to finance. I found out about the job through a friend I met at Bloggforum. So thanks to this blog, and other blog-related activities, I've met a great guy, found a job I like, and broadened my circle of friends and acquaintances.

While a new relationship and a new job have been fantastic for me personally, I have consequently neglected somewhat the very thing that helped bring me fame, fortune, and love. (Ok, that's a little over the top, but it's my blog, and I'll exaggerate if I want to). Due very simply to a lack of time and energy, the frequency of posts has gone from several times a day to a few times a month. I've also had to consider the fact that I now spend a significant portion of my time with another individual who may not be as comfortable as I am in sharing every little detail of our lives with the Internet. I've had to come up with a new definition of what's "bloggable" and what's not.

But I've missed blogging, and I've missed my fellow bloggers. So I'm back, but please bear with me while Kommissarie Curiosa grows and changes along with its author.

In the meantime, I'll try to spare you from any more images of David Hasselhoff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home