Tuesday, February 28, 2006

A contradiction in terms

One of my expat friends who has recently split up with his long-term significant other is now trying his hand at internet dating. I've laid low in terms of Internet dating the last few months, mainly because I have my hands full with all of the male contacts generated by this blog, such as the gentleman who called me a bimbo or the "anonymous" male caller who told me to go and jump off a building and subsequently broke my heart by refusing my marriage proposal.

So I signed into the internet dating site in question to see if I could find his profile, because it's always fun to see what people you know say about themselves. I didn't end up finding his profile, but I did run across a guy who was looking for a "woman between the ages of 25 and 33." Nothing strange about that, except further on down the page he described himself as "an easy going gay working and living in Stockholm."

So he's an easy going gay looking for a woman 25-33. He also wrote, "I´m a normal gay. I´m a good lissner if you are kind to me. normal dressing and so on..."

So is he a bad listener if you are not kind?

And is that "normal" dressing as regular dressing, as opposed to "low-fat," like some kind of rasberry vineagrete on the side?

I'm sorry, far be it from me to be critical at someone else's attempt to write in a foreign language. I know that I'm the who asked my hairdresser to make me some cereal instead of highlighting my hair, but some things are just too good to let go.

Since he made the same mistake twice, it's obviously not just a typo. Either he is still trying to figure out his sexual identity (which is great, but a largely heterosexual online dating community may not be the best place to do that) or he simply needs to get a very good English-Swedish dictionary.

I'm voting for the latter.

9 Comments:

Blogger eff said...

Hehe. Also, normal dressing as opposed to Thousand Island dressing?

It's great that he's a good lissner, though. Whatever that is.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Curiosa said...

Eff, that's good. Very good. That adds a little spice to it. I'm going to have to steal your idea and edit my post a bit.

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe, "jump off a building and subsequently broke my heart", another good example that most women prefere "bad guys"? ;-)

Take a look in todays "Metro" page 6.

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The beginning of the post sounds like if you are trying to justify for browsing a dating website.

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post -- yeah, when ya cross that ol' language barrier, you can find some real gems in the verbiage. Gets even better when someone uses a computer translator ... at that point, people say the darnedest things ...

Oh, and AnonyMouse, were you just teasing the Kommissarie, or trying to provide an object lesson in the perils of attempting a put-down when you don't understand the grammar of the target language? Jes' curious ...

1:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I promise that was not your normal anonymous reader on the last post. Either no editing or its the second lanquage thing again. I have not kept up with you-not knowing you had proposed and all.....Hmm, so you still want to stay, eh?

1:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anonymous, are you the same anonymous that commented http://kommissariecuriosa.blogspot.com/2006/02/guy-from-office-who-hath-not-clue.html on this post? if so, you would have learned that the way to my heart is to insult me.

2:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Twicker,

I apologize for not being an English native speaker and for hurting your feelings by my inability to write or speak proper English. It is for sure an insult to your intelligence to let you read my bad English. My grammar is certainly not as perfect as yours. And I am ashamed of daring using this language. For you information, I am only one of these arrogant nasty illiterate people. Anyway, I was not teasing the Kommissarie. I simply think she needs to find an excuse to go a dating website. That’s all.

Sincerely
The nasty arrogant Anonymous



Curiosa,

No I am not the same anonymous who has suggested you to "go and jump from a tall building". Hope and think the way to your heart is a labyrinth were men get lost. It is not a simple 5 lines highway you can enter by insulting you.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous dating website said...

This is a great blog,this website provides very useful tips.we are going to add it to out free dating

website and college information blog online

dating
.http://www.universityloveconnection.com/blog so our visitors can read your news,as you are a

reputable source.Thanks for dating website.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home