Sunday, August 05, 2007

Anniversary

It's been two years to the day since I smashed my heel in a pretty dramatic car accident on my way to the airport to go back to Sweden after a two-week trip back home. That two week trip turned into three months pretty much glued to the couch and the TV remote, a trip through three airports -- including JFK -- by wheelchair, a rather sexy orthopedic boot and two additional months of recovery upon my return to Sweden. Although I must say that the accident has been one of the more traumatic events in my life up until this point (and I am quite aware it could have been a lot worse), I'm not sure I would undo it. The only regret is that my foot will never quite be the same. Eight titanium screws and a plate, which look like a bike chain on the x-ray, did a fairly good job of putting Humpty Dumpty back together again, although it's still not quite as good as new. And I have a seven-inch L-shaped scar to prove it.

But two years later, I'm once again on my way to the airport (after some cupcakes for breakfast) and this time I'll be walking through JFK on two feet. And some good things came as a result of the accident. For one thing, I'll never again travel without travel insurance. If I hadn't have had it before I left Sweden, I would have been up a creek without a paddle, as we like to say back home. This blog was also born since I had so much extra time on my hands. And without this blog, I wouldn't have met many of the people currently in my life and I probably wouldn't have made the career change I did. So thanks for reading, and keep your fingers crossed (and thumbs held) that the ride to the airport this August 5 is entirely uneventful.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck!

/M

11:13 PM  
Blogger MarkF said...

*crosses fingers*

4:14 PM  
Blogger JC said...

*laughs*

That was one of my first impressions of sweden, when I said I'd cross my fingers for luck, and my host family mother looked at me strangely and was like, "why would you want to do that?"

She told me to hold my thumbs

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm female, "thirty something," living in New York City. About six months ago, I lost a very important love relationship, and here I am, single and blogging about it. This blog is essentially where I will document the observations I'm gathering about living (the single life) in New York City. Friendship, sex, hooking up, Craigslist, getting numbers, instant messenger, you name it, I will cover it here, so long as it captures my interest, that is.
For more details
Dating
waiting for you

3:29 PM  
Blogger oliviaadrion fabulous said...

It is great day for all married person.im also very eagerly waiting for this golden day.u write here about the car's birthday, but read the title of your article and I remember my marriage aniversy.
Country dating

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home