Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I will follow thee to the ends of the earth

I turned the corner, and a hoodie-clad young man on the other side of the street darted towards me.

...mumbling something incomprehensible in Swedish...

"Sorry?" I asked, warily.

"Oh, English!" he exclaimed, as if he had just had a revelation.

"I think you're beautiful!" came revelation number two.

Now most girls appreciate being told they're beautiful, but not usually by hoodie-clad strangers on the street at 11 pm on a Sunday night.

"Ummm, thanks," I mumbled, trying to be equally incomprehensible.

"My name is Jonas. Do you think you could like me?"

"Ummm, I don't KNOW you."

If I talk to him, it'll only encourage him. If I don't talk to him, he might pull out a gun and shoot me.

"Do you have a boyfriend?"

"YES!"

And he's as large as a linebacker.

"Well, do you want to be just friends?"

"Ummmm...."

"Do you have any friends?"

"Yes, I have lots of friends."

"Do you think they would like me?"

"I don't think you want to know what they would think."

"Well, do you want my phone number, just in case, you know, one of your friends might want it?"

"That's an interesting approach, but I think you are going to have better luck, somewhere ELSE."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh god, I always have the exact same thoughts when strange men walk up to you and start talking. If you talk to them, they think you are interested and if you ask them to go to hell you think that they will hurt you.

But he was fun though! In a desperate way.

(I got a link to your blog from Francis)

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, she's back! :)

9:07 AM  
Blogger Ms.Take said...

Ahahahah, I LOVE this story! I'm so grateful 'm not the only OBM out there :)

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, that didn't sound like any of the swedish guys I know - but it did sound like this mainiack that's calling me 27 times a day right now... ew!

I Love your blog by the way, it's so interesting to read about your take on Sweden! I was born and raised there, in a little town in Värmland, and now I live in the big us, haha... Keep it up! :)

Mikaela

4:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home