Monday, September 25, 2006

Tang Tonguelers

The thing about being "creative" is that your brain works in mysterious ways; you make associations that other people don't. Sometimes this can be a good thing, and the result is an innovation that nobody else would have thought of. Other times, it's just plain confusing.

For me, there seems to be an extra layer to the creativity cake. Not only do I make unusual associations that sometimes require conceptual stretching for others, the connection between my brain and my mouth sometimes goes haywire. It usually makes much more sense to me in my head than it does to the person listening to me.

It doesn't usually occur in a professional capacity, thankfully, nor is it usually offensive. (Usually, I'm offensive only on purpose.) But it has made my boyfriend occasionally wonder out loud how such a prolific blogger can say such nonsensical things.

I'm afraid that I must agree with him.

Yesterday, he asked me if we should take the bus or the subway. I replied that it would be half a dozen of one, and three-fourths of the other. He looked at me as if I had just suddenly started speaking in tongues.

"You mean six of one, half a dozen of the other?"

Yeah, something like that. "I never said I was any good at math!"

Another time, I ordered Beef Saskatchawan when we were at a Chinese restaurant. Good thing I was pointing at the menu at the time, or we would have been waiting quite a long time while they imported a cow from Canada. (Luckily, they had plenty of Beef Szechuan at hand.)

It's a good thing he likes for me other reasons than my amazing ability to articulate. Like my amazing organizational skills.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joe Tornatore said...

mouth just has to catch up with your brain.

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home