Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Dear Readers,

I already wrote another version of this letter at the beginning of this blog, but due to some recent comments about "swedish-man-bashing" I felt prompted to post it again. I guess I should make it clear from the very beginning that these entries are more a reflection on the adventures of dating in general, rather than an attempt to bash Swedish guys, Swedish girls, or Swedish dating in general. The fact that said dating takes place in a foreign country makes it all that much better (and fun). You never know if weird behaviour on the part of your male companion is a result of the fact that 1) he comes from another culture; 2) he is a guy; 3) he is a human (i.e., personal idiosyncrasies). I think that in general most explanations can be found in #2 and #3. And I know for a fact that I have done and said some things that leave men wondering, "What the hell was that?"

Half of it is also making fun of myself in my own attempts to figure out "how to date in Sweden." I know that American dating practices, while perhaps a bit more straightforward (at least from my perspective), have also provided sufficient confusion for foreigners who have immigrated to our country. In addition, if you can't approach such experiences with a touch of humor, it's going to be a much more frustrating experience.

In sum, I'll leave this with three thoughts:
1) Men (Swedish or otherwise) will continue to baffle me, and trying to figure them out is half the fun. For now, I'll concentrate on trying to figure out just one, Tonto.
2) Dating in any country is a bizarre experience.
3) If I didn't love Sweden, Stockholm, and Swedes, I wouldn't have been living here for the last three years, and I wouldn't still be on the hunt for a Swede to call my very own have continued to write this tongue-in-cheek collection of my adventures of living in Sweden.

Love,

F. Curiosa

8 Comments:

Blogger SilverLakeSwede said...

You don't have to explain yourself. Anyone with half a brain can understand the spirit in which you write your blog. Those who can't see it for what it is deserve to be ignored.

1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of the best blogs I've ever found. Not that I look around a lot, but still..

Goodnight.

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this comment sounded like a post mortem.

1:53 AM  
Blogger Curiosa said...

hej,

thanks for your comments. i think the problem is that some people are mixing up some of the comments with the blog itself. maybe i should put a disclaimer, "while the author of this blog appreciates inputs from her reader, comments in this blog do not necessarily express the opinion of the author herself."

11:57 AM  
Blogger Niclas Bengtsson said...

Det kvittar vad du skriver det kommer alltid finnas någon som inte gillar det. De som inte gillar att läsa din blog behöver juh inte läsa den.

Tänk på oss andra som gillar att läsa den istället för att ödsla tid på att försöka göra alla glada.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

vi älskar dig med...

6:20 PM  
Blogger Curiosa said...

hej david,

you are right that i don't HAVE to explain myself, but maybe i felt the need to say something due to the fact that i come from the u.s., where you have to explicitly list all potential dangers or hazards for fear of being sued. god bless the USA!

6:52 PM  
Blogger sapphire said...

Dating in general is confusing in and of itself. Add another country, language, and culture into the equation and you have one deadly cocktail. That's part of the fun though!

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home