Friday, December 23, 2005

Curiosa Önskar God Jul till Alla!

Oh shit, got to catch the train in two hours and here I am "blogging" when there are bags to pack and dishes to wash.

I awoke this morning at 7 am to the sound of keys in the door. Wild Child and Soccer Boy are back from Brazil. Soccer Boy went back to Gävle, but Wild Child and I spent the morning curled up in bed with Kitty, gossiping and catching up.

It seems I am at risk of dying from gluttony this weekend at her parent's house.

They are now engaged. Wild Child and Soccer Boy that is. Not her parents.

"Engaged in the Swedish sense of 'engaged' or in the American sense of 'engaged,' i.e. that means you are actually getting married?" I had to ask.

"Well, he asked me to become engaged to him, not to marry him," was her reply.

Of course. Silly me. There is CLEARLY a huge difference between asking someone to "become engaged" to you and "asking them to marry" you.

Isn't engagement per definition asking someone to marry you?

Maybe I'm just being semantical here.

Then I remembered a comment I had gotten on the survey "Swedish Mating and Dating Part I."

A Swedish woman explained:
"Jag är svensk, make australisk. Missade därför helt att hans engagement ring betyde att han faktiskt friade och att vi nu skulle gifta oss. Svensk som jag är trodde jag mer att visst skulle vi gifta oss nån gång, men inte förren efter 6-7 år av att ha bott ihop."

What's the point of engagement then? Unless it's just a ploy to get a big rock on your finger, which is fair enough.

Now I have to springa.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT!

6 Comments:

Blogger oscar said...

Merry god jul-christmas till dig me...

Har aldrig fattat det där med den svenska förlovningen heller.

Seems to me like the americans actually make more sense for once. Hehe.

4:39 PM  
Blogger draksessan said...

Merry christmas!

5:24 PM  
Blogger anna said...

God Jul på dig med Curiosa!

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Den svenska förlovnings-varianten är helt bisarr. När en vän förlovade sig för ett(?) år sedan så trodde jag så klart att de skulle gifta sig. De bor ju inte ens tillsammans så jag ser inte riktigt meningen med det hela.

jaja.. God Jul i alla fall! :)

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vi är fortfarande många som anser att en förlovning är detsamma som frieri är detsamma som giftermål. Däremot måste giftermålet inte komma inom en viss tid.

Folk som FRIAR till sin fästman/fästmö förstår jag mig inte på. Töntar.

11:27 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Det kan ju dock vara så att just den tjejen är ovanligt korkad och borde veta bättre innan hon säger ja till första bästa australisk spunk. ;D

God Jul!

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home