Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Å, Ä, Ö

Image hosted by Photobucket.comAs a native english speaker, Å. Ä, and Ö don't have much meaning for me, other than the fact that they are regular A and O's with funny dots over them. When necessasry, I pay attention to them, but most of the time, I just ignore them. It really doesn't make much difference to the word I hear/see in my head.

For example, today the bus crossed the street: "Båtmansvägen."

I read, "Batmansvägen," and couldn't help but look around for the Batmobile.

6 Comments:

Blogger oscar said...

Well Curiosa, how do you like the swedish name Gun.

That´s especially nice in combination with the last name Hellsvik which a former swedish politician is named.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Jaenelle said...

Those are such annoying letters! My Swedish friends will let me get away with putting a's instead of å's. But I think å's are more like o's. I get laughed at if I start replacing my å's with o's. That almost made sense? (not to mention the fact that it really changes the meaning of some words)

9:09 PM  
Blogger Swedish Girl said...

Ay you foreigners. I spent a whole afternoon at IKEA in Edinburgh, driving my Scottish boyfriends crazy by pointing out all the mistakes in the product names. "It's not Varmdö! It's Värmdö! Otherwise it's like HOT DEATH, who wants to buy a plate called that!!"

Dots matter, you know.

9:17 PM  
Anonymous ban~ken said...

"Tröjan!", that's what my momma said I had to put on if I were going out...

10:39 PM  
Blogger Marcus said...

Curiosa, just curious ... how did you know that I referred to your blog from mine? Great blog btw ... and I'm still waiting for the solutions ;)

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Martin said...

English-speakers who see åäö as a's and o's with dots instead of letters in their own right annoy me. I am a total hypocrite though, because I find it hard to distinguish between e and è and é in French, and it messes up my pronunciation.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home