Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Å, Ä, Ö

Image hosted by Photobucket.comAs a native english speaker, Å. Ä, and Ö don't have much meaning for me, other than the fact that they are regular A and O's with funny dots over them. When necessasry, I pay attention to them, but most of the time, I just ignore them. It really doesn't make much difference to the word I hear/see in my head.

For example, today the bus crossed the street: "Båtmansvägen."

I read, "Batmansvägen," and couldn't help but look around for the Batmobile.

5 Comments:

Blogger oscar said...

Well Curiosa, how do you like the swedish name Gun.

That´s especially nice in combination with the last name Hellsvik which a former swedish politician is named.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Jaenelle said...

Those are such annoying letters! My Swedish friends will let me get away with putting a's instead of å's. But I think å's are more like o's. I get laughed at if I start replacing my å's with o's. That almost made sense? (not to mention the fact that it really changes the meaning of some words)

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Tröjan!", that's what my momma said I had to put on if I were going out...

10:39 PM  
Blogger Marcus said...

Curiosa, just curious ... how did you know that I referred to your blog from mine? Great blog btw ... and I'm still waiting for the solutions ;)

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

English-speakers who see åäö as a's and o's with dots instead of letters in their own right annoy me. I am a total hypocrite though, because I find it hard to distinguish between e and è and é in French, and it messes up my pronunciation.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home