Sunday, November 20, 2005

Clearly, I'm missing something...

Image hosted by Photobucket.comOne of the problems of being a foreigner in Sweden is that there are occasionally gaps in my cultural knowledge. You know, the things you just take for granted. The things you grow up with. For example, I was very surprised when I learned that not a lot of Swedes had heard of the poem, "Twas the Night Before Christmas", as well as Dr. Seuss' Cat in the Hat. I guess I just assumed that these types of things would have been part of learning English, sort of like we had to read Le Petit Prince in French.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comOkay, so I get that Swedes have to watch Kalle Anka (Donald Duck) on Christmas Eve. But can someone please, please explain to me why there is a "Rock Bear" who has a blog in Swedish? I'm hoping this isn't some kind of cultural icon that I've just totally missed out on. (It's possible! I come from a country that actually has a holiday dedicated to a rodent: Groundhog Day.)

I just don't get it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Aftonbladets own music prize, voted on by its readers.
http://susning.nu/Rockbj%F6rnen

And no, I'd be hard pressed to call it a cultural icon... :-)

1:46 AM  
Blogger Curiosa said...

yeah, i didn't think so...but you never know... :)

1:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. The Rock 'n Roll Bear Music Prize is a name that surely must make sense to a foreigner. ;)

Which reminds me that there is no Bison Award. Yet.

Nice to meet you too today.

/F

- It must have been a Bison burger. But how can one tell? Maybe I've been fooled by the Bison lobbyists. ;)

2:42 AM  
Blogger Joshua_Tree said...

Svensk kultur är inte så svår att komma underfund med faktiskt. Allt du behöver veta står att läsa här: http://www.scriptorium.se/josh/texter/2004/integrering.htm

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home